The Blackout beta ended Monday afternoon after a very busy week, and Treyarch has detailed some of the changes they’ll be making for the game’s launch next month thanks to player feedback.
The armor system in Blackout was met with criticism, with players feeling that Level 3 Armor provided too much defense and made some gunfights unwinnable. During the beta, armor underwent numerous adjustments.
- Level 3 Armor saw its spawn frequency reduced by 75% and was relegated to stashes and supply drops, although occasionally spawning as floor loot
- Level 3 Armor now breaks sooner, and Level 2 Armor saw minor adjustments to health
- In the future, players will be able to see the condition of the Armor they are wearing as well as their teammates’s Armor in the HUD
Audio was another common complaint during the beta. Things were way too loud, and things like vehicles sounded much closer than they actually were. Luckily, Treyarch detailed the audio changes they’re planning for launch.
- Sounds will be properly impacted by walls, ceilings, floors, and other objects. Now enemies a floor above or below players won’t be as loud
- The plane, punching, and other loud sounds are being looked at. Treyarch pointed out the game has not yet had its final audio mix
- Teammates’ footsteps won’t be as loud as enemy footsteps
- The Awareness Perk will make friendly footsteps even quieter while amplifying enemy ones
- The final game will feature audio presets
Console players also complained about Blackout’s inventory management and looting systems. Treyarch heard all the feedback and laid out some changes.
- Treyarch is evaluating the interface for looting stashes and crates
- A method will be added to quickly strip a weapon of all its attachments
- There will be a way to swap attachments between two weapons if both weapons support the attachment
Blackout saw some performance issues on Xbox One, but thankfully Treyarch acknowledged the problems and is currently investigating the choppiness. Of course, Blackout wasn’t all bugs and problems, far from it, actually. Treyarch released some fun statistics to cap off the past week.
- 7.5 million Zombies were killed
- 26 million teammates were revived
- 3.3 billion items were picked up
- 64 million stashes were spawned
- The longest Combat Axe kill was 698 feet
- There were a total of 123 basketball kills
Most kills by an individual player:
- Solos: 25
- Duos: 29
- Quads: 25
Most kills by a team:
- Duos: 32
- Quads: 38
Blackout will launch with Call of Duty: Black Ops III on October 12 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. The game will be the first in the series to ditch a single player campaign in favor of a completely multiplayer experience.
When he's not playing video games, Diego's talking about video games, and he does both a lot.